Thursday 3 October 2013

Widgets

Carrot Apple Ginger Soup

Good evening everyone :)

I haven’t done an evening post in a while, but I thought I would pop by and share another soup recipe with you all!

I had my little bro over for dinner tonight – which is SO COOL!! I love that I can have him over for a quick hangout and give him food that hasn’t been made in a cafeteria ;)

Although, I have to admit, the whole how-to-feed-a-growing-boy is a bit of a mystery to me...my solution is always – more bread? I’ll have to work on that.

Carrot, Apple and Ginger Soup


I’ve been on a bit of a roll with the whole soup-making thang, this is my second soup that I’ve ever made by myself [see my first soup here]. I ended up having more carrots than I knew what to do with, so I made another batch of sopa.



Honestly, I think that I will be making a batch of soup, like, every week from now on. It is actually super easy, especially when you are making a soup that will be blended. Don’t be intimidated by the soup-making process!! The hardest part is prepping your veggies, but that’s what a good chef knife is for ;)



I decided to add a little twist to my previous carrot soup and throw in some apples. An apple a day, amiright?


I sauteed the onions until they were translucent and then added the garlic and ginger


I decided to load it up on the ginger root as well, it is the beginning of cold season after all.


After a few minutes, I added the carrots and apples to the mix


And then the broth


I brought it to a boil and then let it simmer with the top on the pot for about 40 mins


Once the carrots were nice and soft, it was blending time


My brother said, and I quote, 'This is actually pretty delicious'


You're welcome ;)

Carrot Apple and Ginger Soup

Inspired by Oh She Glows Recipe

Makes 6 servings

Ingredients

2 tbsp coconut oil
1 large onion, diced
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
½ cup ginger, grated
5 cups of carrots, cubed
2 medium apples, peeled and cubed
4 cups of organic vegetable broth

Directions

In a large pot, sauté the onions in coconut oil (or your oil of choice) approximately 5 minutes or until translucent.

Add the minced garlic and grated ginger to the pan and let cook for another 2 minutes.

Stir in the cubed carrots (mine were fresh garden carrots, so I didn’t peel them and just cut them into 2 inch chunks) and cubed apple (I peeled mine, but its not necessary) and cook for another 3 minutes.

Add the vegetable broth and bring to a boil. [Note: if you’re going to splurge on one thing, I would make it your broth – I always use high-quality organic broth without too much sodium]

Once it has come to a boil, turn down the heat and let simmer for 30-40 minutes or until carrots have become soft.

Use a hand-held blender or a regular blender (be careful if you’re doing this way to only fill about halfway full and let the hot steam release through the hole in the lid) until it has reached desired consistency – I personally like it a little bit chunky (I know, gross adjective)

Let it cool down (resist tasting it right away, I might have burnt my tongue from sheer excitement) and serve with some salt’n’pepper.

Enjoy!



Keep up to date on all things Fitness à la Anna by following me on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment