Tuesday 17 September 2013

Widgets

Canada-Mathare Education Trust

Morning friends :)

I hope you all had a wonderful night.

I biked home after work yesterday and busted out the burpee challenge workout that I posted yesterday.

Its crazy how only 12 minutes of work can make me such a sweaty mess. Loves it.



Smoothie


I was hankering (yes, I apparently have the vocab of a grandma) for a post-workout recovery smoothie, so I whipped this one together:

  • 1 cup almond milk
  • 2 handfuls of kale
  • 1/4 cup raspberries
  • 1 scoop of protein powder
  • 1 teaspoon of peanut butter




Canada-Mathare Education Trust


I went to the Ottawa chapter meeting for Canada-Mathare Education Trust (CMETrust), which is an NGO that I have been volunteering with for a little over a year now. 

I initially met the creator of the organization during my time on the Canadian Field Study in Africa program through McGill University, where I did a field study program throughout east Africa (Kenya, Uganda and Tanzania).

I had the amazing opportunity to visit the Mathare Slum during our time in Nairobi, Kenya, which is where CMETrust is based. CMETrust is a partnership between Canada-based chapters and the Kenya chapter in Mathare slum, Nairobi, which raises money for scholarships to send children from the Mathare slum to high school.

Since there are no high schools in the slums and it is dangerous for children to be walking so far to go to those elsewhere in Nairobi, and it is very expensive for them to afford the fees for high school (approximately $600 per year per child). CMETrust is amazing since it allows children the ability to continue with their schooling and be able to get better jobs and give back to their community.


Me (far right) chatting with one of the scholars (far left)
enjoying a cold drink


Walking around Mathare slum with a CMETrust-supported scholar


Me (in the dorky blue button-up shirt) and my classmates
visiting a local elementary school in the Mathare slum

We decided to have a potluck for our meeting, so I brought peaches and someone brought these babies. They totally stole the show. 


Cutest cupcake (and delish) from Thimble Cakes

After being a bit disconnected from the group, it is awesome to get back to business and organize some educational outreach and some fundraising events in Ottawa over the next year.

Don't worry, I will shamelessly advertise all events on the blog ;)

Question of the Day:


  • Do you do any volunteering in your community? Or with a local NGO with an international focus?

I find it so rewarding to volunteer some of my time with this NGO. It helps me stay connected with my experience that I had during my time in east Africa, over 2 years ago now (time flies!!), and remind me to be grateful for everything that I have - amazing friends and family, a roof over my head, good food to eat every day, and the ability to exercise and maintain a healthy lifestyle.

Attitude of gratitude :)

Keep up to date on all things Fitness à la Anna by following me on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment