Wednesday 25 September 2013

Widgets

09/25 What I Ate Wednesday

I want to start off by saying my condolences to the family of Annemarie Desloges, a Canadian diplomat who was killed in the recent attacks at Nairobi's Westgate Mall.

I am intensely saddened and shocked by this event since it hits hard on two fronts. Firstly, she was a member of the Canadian foreign service, and her sister works for the Canadian International Development Agency like I do, therefore we had a moment of silence at work yesterday in her memory. I did not have the pleasure of meeting her or her sister, but many of my colleagues here at work knew both ladies and are pretty devastated.


Secondly, when I was in Nairobi, Kenya, I personally went to the Westgate Mall many times with my fellow classmates during my time on my field studies program, and then afterwards with friends when I returned to Nairobi to volunteer with Maji na Ufanisi.

It blows my mind to think of all the people killed and injured by this heartless attack of terror, and my prayers go out to all friends and family of those taken away too suddenly. I hope that those responsible for these attacks are all found and held accountable for these tragic events.

See article here: http://www.ottawacitizen.com/news/least+dead+injured+going+attack/8943393/story.html

What I Ate Wednesday


I have finally got my act together to get my 'What I Ate' posted on a Wednesday like the rest of the blogging world.

You may begin your applause...now


I know, mas impressivo

So, without further ado, here's a little glimpse at a full day of eats for me:

Breakfast


Sunny views on my bike ride in this morning 



It was another sunny but fresh morning bike ride into work this morning, and since I was running a bit late this morning (story of my life) I brought my breakfast to work with me to eat at my desk.


I had a slice of whole wheat toast slathered in salsa and topped with two scrambled eggs


Breakfast of champions
Morning Snack



I noticed that the mangoes in my fruit bowl were FINALLY beginning to ripen this morning, so I cut one of them up and ate half a mango in plain Greek yogurt for my mid-morning snack


The best way to cut mangoes - cut in half (avoiding the large pit in the middle) and then cut into dice, spread it open like a fan and cut the cubes out and enjoy!


Topped with a drizzle of maple syrup, pure deliciousness

Lunch

Lunch consisted of a salad beast brought in my handy-dandy tupperware, made with lettuce, kale, quinoa, tomatoes, feta with a drizzle of olive oil and fresh ground pepper


Served with an apple (eaten before I remember to take a picture) and some dark chocolate, courtesy of the GCWCC (Government of Canada Workplace Charitable Campaign) promo handed out by on of  the Assistant Deputy Ministers as I came in this morning :)


Afternoon Snack

At around 4pm, I busted out some cut celery and hummus (that I had prepped on Sunday night)


I was still feeling a bit peckish, and was hearing the crunch of my cubicle neighbours chips, so I had a few handfuls of my latest obsession - dried soya nuts


Almost as satisfying as chips ;)

Dinner

The weather warmed up to a balmy 20 degrees, so my bike ride home was wonderful and already looking much more colourful with the changing leaves


I spy with my little eye a tree that is totally red (pssst...bottom left hand corner)



Loving my area of town :)

I met up with a friend of mine for dinner at Ahora's on Dalhousie St in the Byward Market in Ottawa, which is a cute little Mexican restaurant with vibrant colours and amazing margaritas.


I couldn't resist


I had the ensalada fiesta, which I then piled high with homemade salsa. One word: HEAVEN

It was great to catch up with her, it has way too long since we have hung out!! We were having so much fun that we decided to keep the party going and indulge in one more treat


And mysteriously found ourselves here


For what will probs be the last cone of the season. Sigh. 


I had the pistachio gelato and some sort of chocolate-hazelnut mixture. Perfect end to the night!

Hope you all have a great hump day :)

Links Of Interest:



Keep up to date on all things Fitness à la Anna by following me on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment