Saturday 21 September 2013

Widgets

Banana-Based Oatmeal


Hello friends, I hope you all had a great Friday night and are having a fantabulous start to your weekend :)

I went over to a friend's place last night to play Settlers of Catan.

[Source]
Loves it!




Banana-Based Oatmeal


Bring on the Anna Banana jokes.


Funny story, my elementary school principal used to jokingly call me ‘Anna Banana’ until one day I finally decided that I had enough of the nickname and proceeded to cry until she promised never to call me that again.

I’ve since gotten over my hatred of bananas...although I don’t think I’ve ever warmed up to the nickname ;)


My parents used to make oatmeal for me almost every morning when I lived at home, to the point that I think I had a bit of an oatmeal overdose. Also, no offense to my darling parents, but they kind of made lame oatmeal. The kind that you need to douse in brown sugar and milk to eat.


About a year ago, I found a recipe that made me want to rekindle my oatmeal love affair. And it involved bananas. Go figure.

I now make a batch of this banana-based oatmeal once a week, which gives me around 3 breakfasts-worth of oatmeal. I mix up the ingredients every once in a while, and it never gets old! I now never have to drown my oatmeal in milk and sugar, since I make it with milk (instead of only water, yawn) and add some vanilla and cinnamon to give it some sweetness, along with the bananas and sometimes some berries.



Ground flax seed


Banana


I added sunflower seeds this time to add some crunch!


Try it out! Embrace oatmeal! Join the ‘oatmeal is delicious, not mush’ bandwagon :)


Banana-Based Oatmeal

Makes 3 servings

Inspired by Kath Eats

Ingredients

1 cup oatmeal
2 cups almond milk
1 banana, sliced
1 tbsp chia seeds
1 tbsp ground flax seed

Directions

1. Place oatmeal (I use rolled oats, but can also be done with instant oats) and almond milk (or milk or your choice, you can also do 1 cup milk and 1 cup water) in a pot on medium high heat.
2. Once the mixture has started to bubble, add sliced banana to the mix and stir continuously, slightly mashing the banana into the mix.
3. When oatmeal is almost at your desired consistency, add chia seeds and ground flax seed and any other addition that you choose. I love to add sunflower seeds, blueberries, raspberries, chopped walnuts, sliced almonds...the list is endless!
4. Once your oatmeal has reached your desired consistency, remove pot from heat and let cool. If I am planning on reheating mine, and not going to gobble it up all at once, I let it stay a bit more watery than I would like so it firms up when I reheat my servings.
5. Enjoy with your favourite toppings! Some of my favourites include: unsweetened coconut shavings, carob chips, sliced fresh fruit, some granola, a dollop of almond butter, peanut butter, sunflower butter...any nut butter will do!



Keep up to date on all things Fitness à la Anna by following me on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment