Tuesday 12 November 2013

Widgets

Vegetarian Chickpea Curry

Morning friends!

Hope you all had a wonderful evening :)

I meant to post this recipe earlier, but the day kind of got away with me...but better late than never, amiright?!

Vegetarian Chickpea Curry


As I mentioned, I went to a friend's place recently and she made a curry that tasted bomb diggity, so I decided to finally test it out for myself.


Although I am a big fan of curry, I have never attempted to make it for myself. I have always been a tad intimidated by the long list of spices in recipes.


Also, I lived with an Indian girl for a bit when I was a student at McGill University, and she had this cute little container full of all of the spices that you need to make curry. She would roast them and make amazing dishes all of the time. 


I got a false sense of assurance that I knew the proportions of the various spices that she would use, and attempted to add the spices to a rice dish that I made once (she said I could use the spices any time...I swear!) and totally mixed up the amounts and ended up with the SPICIEST dish of all time. 


I have been scared to attempt using curry spices ever since...but, I decided to buck it up and test out this recipe. I went a little on the shy side of the amounts of spices that I used juuust in case it turned into spicy hot lava like last time, but turns out I could have used more - it turned out awesome :)


 I ended up using only powdered spices, since that is all that I had available, but you can also take a stab at roasting fresh spices. I'm sure it would give it a fuller flavour.


My first successful curry :)


Let me know if you try it out!



Vegetarian Chickpea Curry
Inspired by Fuss Free Cooking's Recipe 

Ingredients

2 tbsp coconut oil
1 large onion
2 tbsp curry powder
2 tbsp cumin
2 cloves of garlic
1 tbsp ginger
1 tbsp chili powder
1 cup mushrooms
1 eggplant
2 tomatoes
2 cans chickpeas

Directions

Dice onion and mince garlic. Cut veggies into large chunks.

Saute onions in coconut oil [or oil of choice] with curry powder and cumin in a large soup pot until onions are translucent.

Add garlic, ginger and chili powder until spices are fragrant.

Add mushrooms and eggplant and sauté for about 5 minutes or until mushrooms are somewhat cooked. Add tomatoes and let cook for another 5 minutes.

Add one can of chickpeas, drained, and another can of chickpeas with the liquid. Let simmer for about 30 minutes or until chickpeas are soft.

Serve and enjoy!



No comments:

Post a Comment