Friday 8 November 2013

Widgets

First Rock Climbing Experience

Hi friends,

Hope you are all enjoying your Friday afternoon :)

As I mentioned this morning, I am Toronto-bound to have a ladies weekend with some of my besties. I am, however, braving a ride share with my friend Laura for the first time [don't worry Momster and Popster, I have a buddy system!] Should be an interesting ride.

First Rock Climbing Experience


So, I now realise that rock climbing is a bit harder than it looks. By a bit, I mean a lot.

I ended up going to Vertical Reality last night with a friend of mine who has been climbing for a while, and I had visions of me scaling the wall like a little spider.

[Source]
Turns out, I'm not a natural climber. Sad trombone.

We went bouldering, which is when you climb up a wall with no ropes. When we first showed up, I thought that you could just go willy-nilly up the wall and use whichever hand or feet holds that you want - and, technically, you can - but the proper etiquette is to do 'problems', or routes, that are mapped out with coloured tape next to each corresponding rock. And there really doesn't seem to be such a thing as a simple problem.

[Source]
Follow the green taped road...

I was able to do about 4-5 moves in a row before deflating and falling to the ground (which were thankfully covered in soft mats), and actually managed to get one problem by the end of the night, but mostly hung back to soothe my poor forearms - which definitely felt tight this morning - and watch the pros do their thang. Just so we're clear, it is not natural for people to be able to lift their entire body weight by their finger tips, but its pretty dang impressive to watch someone scale a wall. They make it look so easy!

Anyway, I will def try it again, but I have a feeling that bouldering may not be my thing. At least not until I build a little bit more upper body strength, balance and confidence that my hands won't give out and let me fall.

[Source]
It's a work in progress ;)

In the meantime, check out this video of 'crack climbing', where people literally climb up a rock face by jamming their hands or limbs into cracks in order to pull themselves upwards. Supposedly Alex Honnold is the youngster who is pushing the limits in the crack climbing world. Maybe because he does it upside down...? Crazy cray.



Question of the Day:

  • Have you ever tried a ride share? Love it or leave it? Any tips to share?

No comments:

Post a Comment