Monday 10 March 2014

Widgets

Erawan Falls, Thailand


After a full day of history, we took the bus to Erawan Falls, about an hour and a half north of Kanchanaburi. 


They are magnificent. 


It is a seven story waterfall in a protected national park. It was a Saturday when we went, so there were tons of Thai people there. And Russians. In speedos. Hell ya. 


We were glad that we wore our running shoes. The first two steps are easy to get to, but the terrain becomes slightly more treacherous as you go to the higher steps. 


They actually had a station where you needed to put a deposit for your water bottles to make sure you don't leave it in the park. Genius! There are also signs to beware of ferocious monkeys, who have been known to steal bags. I think there are noise makers in the park now, and we didn't even see one monkey. Kind of glad I didn't have to fend any off ;)


It was disgustingly hot outside, but we persevered all the way to the seventh step and then had the best reward ever - a nice cool swim! 


There were HUGE fish in the tide pools, however. 


Now, don't get me wrong - I lie fish. I love seeing them swim around me when I dive or snorkel, and I love to eat them. Turns out, I do not enjoy being nibbled by mystery fish in a pool of water. Everyone seemed to think it was hilarious to see me frantically moving about to keep the fish from nibbling my feet and ankles. I took refuge in the waterfall ;)


We caught the last bus back to Kanchanaburi which was packed full of people - we were literally sitting on the steps with the door wide open. 


Thankfully, the bus didn't go very fast. 


Cyn and I have a tendency to pass out on all modes of transport almost instantly, so it was all we could do not to fall asleep and head bob our way into falling out the door. We survived ;)


That night, we had an awesome chat with Cat, the lady boy who owns an awesome ice cream shop. 


She told us all about the difficulty of finding work as a lady boy and how thankful she was for her British boyfriend. 'He take care of me'. If you're ever in the area, pop by and say hi!


No comments:

Post a Comment