Friday 20 November 2015

Widgets

Healthy Party Snacks


Hi friends, 

Happy Friday!!

Healthy Party Snacks


I had some chicas over for a ladies vino night, and decided to make a few healthy snacks for us to munch on.

Steer Clear of Cheese Plates 

Personally, cheese plates are my worst nightmare - I have absolutely ZERO self-control when a plate of delicious cheese is put in front of me. It also makes me feel incredibly guilty afterwards, so I decided to steer clear of it last night! 

[Note: this is not to say that cheese plates are never alright – cheese is a source of protein, so it is good for you in appropriate portion sizes. So, if you are one of those magical unicorns with the self-control of steel, then go for the cheese plate. For the rest of us, see my suggestions below :) ]

Veggie Platter

Instead of the regular cheese platter, why not cut up a few veggies to munch on instead??

This is one of my go-to appetizers for get-togethers since I am a sucker for some delish crunchy veggies, especially when they are paired with a good dipping sauce(!!)

Hummus

Here's an old recipe of mine for basil hummus

I have to admit, I’m a bit of a hummus fiend. My boyf has quickly discovered that I become quite cranky when I don’t have a supply of hummus in the fridge - at all times. This is an easy hummus recipe, which you can make in a big batch on the weekend and it will last you all week (in theory…). 

When you’re in a pinch and don’t have the time to make a fresh batch, there are some great options at the grocery store – just make sure you read the ingredients and don’t go for anything too fancy with extra unnecessary calories.

One of my personal faves. The garlicky kind, obvi ;)

You can also cut up some whole wheat pita bread to dip into this delicious spread as well!

Sweet Potato Fries

A great way to have something salty without resorting to a bag of chips – throw together some sweet potato fries! Not only are they delicious, but they’re super easy to make – I’ll try to post a recipe for them next week!

Fun fact: sweet potatoes are pumped full with beta-carotene and Vitamin A, and a great alternative to regular potato chips or fries.

3 Ingredient Cookies

Looking for an easy – and healthy – dessert option?

The best and easiest option is always to go with a fruit platter, but if you’re looking to provide something that looks a bit more like the traditional dessert fare, these cookies are the bomb diggity!


3 Ingredient Cookies

This recipe is adapted from a Blogilates [LINK] recipe, and should make 12 small cookies or 8 medium-sized cookies.

Ingredients

1 banana
1 cup rolled oats
Handful raisins/chocolate chips

Directions

1. Preheat oven to 350F.

2. Add peeled banana, rolled oats and raisins to a large bowl.

3. Use your hands to mush (yes, I said “mush”) everything together.

4. Coat baking pan or use wax paper.

5. Roll dough into small balls and flatten them to look like – you guessed it – a cookie.

6. Bake for 5-10 minutes, or until golden around the edges.

7. Remove from heat, let sit for 5 minutes (seriously, they’ll be hot).

8. ENJOY!!


  • What are YOUR go-to party snacks? Any other recommendations??





No comments:

Post a Comment