Saturday 5 October 2013

Widgets

Pumpkin Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins

Morning friends!

Hope you are all enjoying the start of your weekend :)

I went over to a friend's place to drink some red vino and watch a movie aka - chat the entire night.

I actually biked over to her place, only a little 15 minute bike ride, for the first time since I hurt my foot. I haven't heard back about the results from my x-rays, but it is definitely starting to feel better.


Goodbye crutches, hello world!

Pumpkin Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins


I woke up this morning with a bunch of energy to try something new for breaky!


So, armed with some fresh pressed coffee in my fav Norval Morrisseau cup, I busted out my first can of pumpkin and got to work!


I prepped by cutting up some almonds


And dates (I might have scarfed a few down in the process...)


Threw it all together


Et voila! A wonderful shade of orange :)


Ready to go into the oven


Cooling on the counter for all my roomies to try them out too!


Perfect with a bit of peanut butter :)


  

Pumpkin Oatmeal Breakfast Muffins

Based on the recipe by Eating Bird Food

Makes 12

Ingredients

2 ½ cups old fashioned oats
1 tbsp cinnamon
1 tbsp flax seed, ground
1 ½ tbsp baking powder
½ tsp salt
2 cups almond milk
1 cup canned pumpkin
2 eggs
1 tbsp coconut oil, melted
1 tsp vanilla extract
½ cup of almonds, walnuts or pecans
½ cup of raisins, chopped dates or carob chips

Directions

Preheat oven to 350F.

Mix old fashioned oats (can also use instant oats in a pinch), cinnamon, flax seed, baking powder and salt into a big bowl.

Stir almond milk (I used 1 cup almond milk and 1 cup water), pumpkin, eggs, coconut oil and vanilla extract together until liquefied.

Add wet ingredients to the dry and mix. Mix in the nuts (I used chopped almonds, but you can also use walnuts, pecans, or your nut of choice) and sweet ingredients (I used chopped dates, but raisins, carob chips or chocolate chips would be delicious).

Oil muffin tins (I used avocado oil, but you can also use a spray or canola oil – I find olive oil has a bit of a strong taste and can overpower your baking) and fill them up with your batter.

Bake for 20-25 minutes, or until you can stick a fork in one of the muffins and it comes out clean-ish {Note: these muffins will have a similar consistency to oatmeal on the inside within a harder more muffin-like exterior}.

Leave the muffins in the tin for about 30 minutes to an hour and then take out of tin and put them in a closed container in the fridge (up to 2 weeks) or in the freezer (up to 4 months) or leave them on a plate in the kitchen for your family/friends/roomies to enjoy!

If leaving them in the fridges or freezer, warm them up in the toaster oven and enjoy with a little dollop of nut butter. Delicioso!



Keep up to date on all things Fitness à la Anna by following me on Twitter and Facebook

No comments:

Post a Comment