Monday 7 October 2013

Widgets

Marvelous in my Monday & Roasted Sunchokes Recipe


Morning friends!

Its the start of a new week, and with Thanksgiving coming up this weekend, I wanted to spread a little bit of gratitude.

Marvelous in My Monday


I'm grateful for:

Supportive Family - although we are all dispersed around Canada and abroad, I am so thankful to have such a supportive bunch of relatives, love you all to the moon and back.

Amazing Friends - its funny how you always find out who your true friends are when things get a bit rough in life, and I am so grateful for the great bunch of ladies who are always there for me, and for friends that I have been able to reconnect with since my move to Ottawa. Loaf you all.

Fresh Garden Veggies - it doesn't happen often, but I love it when I get garden veggies from friends and family now that I don't have a garden of my own. Everything tastes so...real. Loves it.

Speedy Recovery - I am so excited that my foot is starting to feel a bit better and I can move around a lot easier (and way less painfully) and fingers crossed I get good results from my x-rays taken last week!!

Roasted Sunchokes


Friends, meet a lovely little vegetable(?) that I like to call a sunchoke.


Okay, so I'm not the only one who calls it a sunchoke. Because that's what they're called. 


They look strangely like a ginger root, and a bit gnarly, but they are a Canadian indigenous plant that belongs to the potato family and grows a really tall sunflower-like bud 


I only had a few that I got from my Dad's garden, so I decided to roast 'em up and give them a taste!



They have a fuller, nuttier taste than potatoes, but I was pleasantly surprised!


But I guess I'm pleasantly surprised with anything that is covered in olive oil and garlic ;)


I would def pick these up in the grocery store or farmer's market if ever I see them again, they are great as a side dish and its awesome that its a common plant that is native to Canada



Roasted Sunchokes
Based on the recipe by the Kitchn


Makes 2 servings

Ingredients

2 cups of sunchokes
2 cloves of garlic, minced
2 tbsp olive oil
2 tbsp rosemary, dried

Directions

Preheat oven to 350F.

Wash sunchokes in cold water and cut into ¼ inch slices.

Peel garlic cloves and mince.

Place cut sunchokes onto a baking sheet and sprinkle garlic on top. Drizzle olive oil over top to coat all sunchokes and garlic.

Roast sunchokes in the oven for 20 minutes or until golden.

Serve warm as a side dish and enjoy!


Linking up with: Healthy Diva Eats


 Keep up to date on all things Fitness à la Anna by following me on Twitter and Facebook


No comments:

Post a Comment