Monday 10 February 2014

Widgets

Weekend Part I: Egyptian 'All Night Dance Party' aka Rave

Hi friends! It was a big weekend for me here, still feeling slightly exhausted from it to be honest. 

One of the highlights for me was going to a rave on the outskirts of Cairo. 

Now, I feel like the term 'rave' has a bit of a negative connotation to it, so let's call it a big-ass dance party that just happens to go all night and into the wee hours of the morning. 

Note: I didn't take any pics from the night, so here are some from the Katameya Heights Golf Club (aka Paradise) for your viewing pleasure throughout this post ;) 


It was at a big warehouse building, and we could hear the music from a couple of blocks away as we were approaching. Naturally, it took us about ten times longer to get there than expected, with a few (dozen) u-turns and lots of stoping to ask people for directions (sometimes simply driving slow beside a taxi car and yelling through the window, fun times). 


The music was awesome, mostly house music - I'm not going to lie, I don't really know the different genres of electro music, but all I know is that it wasn't too dubstep-y (which is a good thing in my opinion - too many 'drops' and I start to go a bit crazy) and the only thing that I understood from the dj's on the microphone was 'house music'.


I know, I'm such the little detective ;) 


I went with a few of the Canadian teachers who work with my mom, super awesome people. It was mostly Egyptian guys there, and we were the only foreigners in sight. We had a bit of a posse by the end of the night haha but it was all in good fun. 


By the end of the night, I was full of redbull, smelled like an ash tray and had permanent ringing in my ears, but was able to watch a beautiful sunrise just as we pulled onto Ring Road on our way home. Overall an awesome night!


Also, I'm pretty sure my little brosef is going to be a big mixture of proud and jealous ;) he is the budding dj of the fam. 

I'll be back with Part II soon soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment